We all love an underdog don’t we? Someone who won’t be bullied, who will stand up for themselves and their rights in the face of all powerful corporations and governments, they give us all hope that we little guys do have the power after all. Often referred to as ‘nail houses’ or ‘holdouts’, cases such as these have become high profile media sensations, where the brave homeowners receive widespread support against the perceived bullying of the powers that be. Anyone who has seen the movie ‘Up,’ or Australian classic ‘The Castle’ will identify with this! Scroll down to see the astonishing examples below, and don’t forget to vote for your favourite!
1. No narrow escape for this lady Mary Cook Had Refused To Sell Her Narrow, Handsome Home While All The Neighboring Homes Were Demolished. Today The House Sits Tightly Squeezed Between Its Giant Neighbors, Looking Much Like An Illustration From A Children’s Story Book
. 2. Art imitating life Edith Macefield Refused To Sell Her Home Even After Being Offered More Than 1 Million Dollars For It. She Later Became The Inspiration For The Movie “Up”.
3. He lives in a land down under An Owner That Refused To Sell His House In Melbourne, Australia.
4. Vera Coking refused to take a gamble Vera Coking First Refused To Sell Her House To Bob Guccione, Who Wanted To Build His Casino Around It. Later She Refused To Sell To Donald Trump.
5. Not half bad One Resident Of A Toronto Duplex Refused To Sell, So They Cut It In Half.
6. They won’t be moving out in a New York minute This Slender Gothic-Inspired Townhouse, Flanked By Massive Prewar Apartment Buildings Up And Down The Block.
7. It’s my way or the highway China’s Government Paved A Highway Around These Stubborn Homeowners. The Residents Eventually Moved Out But The House Had Become A Symbol Of Resistance Against Developers.
8. Going around in circles In Guangzhou, The Authorities Have Had To Build A Ring Road Around This Block Of Flats Because Three Families Would Not Budge.
9. He did it the old school way Randal Acker Refused To Sell His Small Queen Anne Victorian Home In Downtown Portland, So They Built A Huge Portland State University Residence Hall Around It.
10. A change of heart The House Of Austin Spriggs, Washington D.c. The Owner Was Offered $3 Million, Said No, And Later Sold It For $4 Million.
11. The middle of nowhere Although His Is The Only Standing Building In What Used To Be An Old Neighborhood Of Roubaix, In Northern France, Salah Oudjani Refuses To Sell The Coffee House He Has Worked In For The Last 46 Years.
12. They’re living under a bridge When this family bought their home, the bridge had already been built. They knew what they were getting themselves into, or, should I say, under.
13. In the lap of luxury A Lone Resident Holds Out Against Luxury Villas In Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, In July 2013.
14. As stubborn as a mule Farmers Live Stuck In Between Three Highways. Hundreds Of Households Were Relocated But The Government Wasn’t Able To Reach A Consensus With This Family.