In September 2016, to teach Pakistan a lesson, India scripted history by showing the spine. On 28-29 September that year, to avenge the killing of 19 soldiers in Uri by Pak-sponsored terrorists ( an incident that happened on 18 September), Indian Army conducted the surgical strikes across the LoC in Pak-Occupied Kashmir region. Never before in recorded history India had not conducted surgical strikes of such an intensity against Pakistan due to fear of government that such a move could lead to all-out war. But the government led my PM Narendra Modi was different.
1. ‘Uri’, the film, will not show you every detail related to the surgical strike
Whatever is known from sources, is only a portion of the entire story as the operational details of strike itself will never be revealed to the public.
2. The strikes were carried out by men from the Indian Army’s Para Special Forces regiment.
3. We will never know the actual name of any of the soldiers or the Major who was decorated with the Kirti Chakra for his gallantry in the surgical strikes
His name and face will remain classified till army wants. He was at the time the second-in-command 2IC of his Para SF Regiment. There is a possibility that the character of Major Vihan Shergill played by Vicky Kaushal is based on this Major.
4. Three teams were sent for the surgical strikes
The commanders of the teams that were sent to avenge the terror attack were two colonel-ranked officers. It is not clear if any of the teams was led by them.
5. The team led by the Major who won the Kirti Chakra had 19 men. Almost the same number of men were in the other two.
6. All three teams crossed the LoC at different locations – one of which was Uri.
7. The SF teams that were sent on the mission had coincidentally trained as a single unit in winter 2015
The absolute coordination between every soldier of the teams was the result of the special training given to them.
8. Only the highest authorities of the country knew of the plan
The names includes Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, NSA Ajit Doval, Army chief General Dalbir Singh, Vice Chief of Staff Lt Gen Bipin Rawat, Northern Army commander Lt Gen DS Hooda, Chinar Corps commander Lt Gen Satish Dua, White Knight Corps commander Lt Gen RR Nimborhkar, those two Colonels whose Para SF men went for the kill, and a handful of top military commanders.
9. In spite of knowing everything, PM Modi did not for a moment give the impression that something was cooking
PM Modi continued to make standard statements every PM used to make, giving an impression that New Delhi will go the usual and not do anything.
10. Around seven terror launch pads were targeted which left at least 80 terrorists dead.
11. Only one Para soldier was slightly injured in the mission and no one was left behind
Military planning had taken into account the number of soldiers who could lose their life. It was one of the main reasons why the Indian political establishment was particularly proud of the success of surgical strikes.
12. On their way back, the Major and his men took a longer route to fool the Pakistani soldiers who were expecting the SF on the shorter route.
13. Pakistani soldiers fired everything from sniper rounds to rocket launchers to mortars, but could not hit a single SF jawan
The injury suffered by the Para SF was due to the landmine.
14. All the Para SF crossed over the LoC at 4.30 am, 36 hours after they had left for their historic mission.
15. The entire operation was monitored from Army HQ in Delhi, at the Northern Command HQ in Udhampur, and at Nagrota and Srinagar, the HQs of White Knight and Chinar Corps, respectively.
16. Drones were in the air capturing every detail through the entire duration of the operation.
17. Besides the Major, 5 men from the 3 teams were honoured with Shaurya Chakra; 13 others received Sena Medal for gallantry.
18. The Para SF men selected for the mission were equipped with the best technology available with the Indian armed forces.
19. The 2016 surgical strike was not the first under the BJP-led NDA government
In June 2015, a surgical strike against NSCN(K) in Myanmar was carried out. The camps of the terrorist group inside Myanmar were targeted and 60 insurgents were killed.
Every equipment needed by a highly trained SF soldier on an audacious mission was provided to every soldier which includes Israeli made assault rifles, night vision goggles, bulletproof jackers and communication devices.