As a nation of the ‘easily offended’, we as Indians really need to work on what topics and issues to outrage over. Another year is about to answer the curtain call, and these are the controversies that should not have happened in 2017! The year saw a lot of occassions that eventually turned into unnecessary controversy and created rave on the social media platforms.
Here are listed some unnecessary controversies that happened in 2017 that were not meant to be taken seriously but they offended many Indians and that is why a huge storm of controversy took place.
1. Ranbir Kapoor and Mahira Khan’s smoking’ hot controversy.
A picture of Bollywood actor Ranbir Kapoor and Pakistani actress Mahira Khan smoking a cigarette together went viral on social media. While people criticised the ‘Barfi’ actor for ‘dating an actress from Pakistani, Mahira on the other hand was criticised for wearing short dress and smoking a cigarette ‘openly’.
2. Sunny Leone’s Manforce condom ad during Navratris.
Bollywood actress Sunny Leone has always managed to attract all the controversies and yet again she was in news when one of her condom advertisement was displayed in Gujarat during the festive season of Navratri and that too with a tagline that read ‘khelo magar pyaar se’. She was announced unsanskari for doing that and we don’t know what her fault was!
3. Priyanka Chopra’s meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Global ‘Desi girl’ Priyanka Chopra met the PM of our country Narendra Modi but instead of appreciating her efforts of making India proud by achieving great heights in the West, people started trolling her for her ‘short’ dress that she wore while she met the PM. She could have wore a salwar-kameez but she opted to show her legs! That’s what the people thought even when they are living in 2017.
4. Esha Gupta was insulted, abused and called names for her ‘lingerie’ shoot.
Bollywood actress Esha Gupta was slammed and abused for doing a lingerie shoot and for posting seductress pictures on her Instagram account. But the actress shut down the mouth of her trollers by posting her pictures again and again on the social media platform.
You Go Girl!
5. Cricketer Irfan Pathan and his wife’s selfie.
— Irfan Pathan (@IrfanPathan) July 17, 2017
Indian cricketer Irfan Pathan and his wife’s selfie became a topic of discussion and we don’t know why. There is no answer to the question that how a person’s selfie with his wife can become a controversy and a topic of analysis for many. To inform you all, his wife was announced un-Islamic because she showed her arms and wearing a nail paint.
6. We don’t see anything insulting or hurting in this post by Katy Perry. Do you?
Pop star Katy Perry posted a picture of Hindu goddess Kali Maa on her Instagram account along with a caption ‘current mood’ that disappointed many and a controversy took place. However there was nothing that offended, insulted or hurt us.
7. People from Tamil took great offence to this magazine cover because they felt ‘showing legs’ while wearing a bride’s dress is against their culture.
8. Mohammed Shami’s wife was termed un-Islamic for showing her arms. For many days, the moral police force of the internet tortured Shami by hurling abuses on his social media profiles.
Kudos to Shami for standing tall behind her woman and giving no Fs to the troll brigade.
9. After the CEO of Snapchat gave a statement about India being a ‘poor country’, people of our country took offense and to take a revenge they started uninstalling the app and #UninstallSnapchat started trending on tmany social media platforms. But it was soon revealed by the CEO that he had never given any statement of this sort and kudos! The installation of the app increased.